My Photo
Name:
Location: Chicago, Illinois, United States

I have a master's in journalism and I am highly unstable. But enough about me. How are you?

Sunday, March 27, 2005

Parents With Friends in High Places Better Watch Out

I find a washington post article that is a wonderful example of how shady politics can be. Lawmakers in Maryland (and many other states, I bet) can legally give scholarships to friends, relatives, and campaign participants. With financial aid being very limited in Maryland, many people aren't very happy. In fact, legislators are doing what they can to rub out Maryland's scholarship program, which allows Marylands senators and delegates to distribute money however they see fit.

Of course, there are state officals who think that the program is AOK and feels that need for money should not be the only requirement for finanical aid, like Sen. Paula C. Hollinger (D-Baltimore County), who gives her money to nursing students to help terminate a recent shortage in the field.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home