My Photo
Name:
Location: Chicago, Illinois, United States

I have a master's in journalism and I am highly unstable. But enough about me. How are you?

Sunday, March 13, 2005

History Coming Alive

I wish more history teachers (and teachers in general) were like Lindy Poling and Cathy Bonneville Hix.

Poling, from Millbrook High in Raleigh, North Carolina, feels that students need to view crucial moments in history through the eyes of those who lived through them. So, she brings 20 speakers each year, including TV anchorman and Vietnam veteran Larry Stogner who served as a radio operator at Bien Hoa during the 1968 Tet Offensive during the Vietnam War, to herLessons of Vietnam/Recent International Relations (LOV/RIR) class. Hix, a Swanson Middle School (Arlington, Virgina) teacher, created the Battle of Bon-Air, a Civil War reenactment with seven-grade students playing the roles of Union and Confederate soldiers.

1 Comments:

Blogger Matt Schury said...

I heard about the SAT story in the Tribune. All I can say is that I am glad my days of standarized testing are behind me.

10:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home