My Photo
Name:
Location: Chicago, Illinois, United States

I have a master's in journalism and I am highly unstable. But enough about me. How are you?

Monday, January 16, 2006

Florida Middle School Student Shot Dead by Deputies For Carrying Pellet Gun

Fifthteen-year-old Christopher Penley has been declared dead yesterday after being shot two days before by a sherriff's deputy at Milwee Middle School in Longwood, Fla. for holding what authorties at the time thought was a 9 millimeter handgun. It turns out that the weapon was a pellet gun.

According to the New York Times, Penley was in a dispute with another student in a classroom over the gun. Soon, several deputies and a SWAT team showed up and trapped him. Penley refused to give up the gun and allegedly pointed it towards one of the deputies, causing that deputy to open fire.

Who should we blame for such a tragedy? Some would argue that Christopher should've known better than to carry such a realistic gun to school and then resisted the police when asked to give up the "weapon". Others might blame the police for not knowing the difference between a hand gun and a pellet gun. One group might say that it's the school's fault for not having better security. I wasn't there when when it all went down, so I'm not sure what to say. However, I think I speak for everyone when I say.....

This has got to stop!!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home